Your web browser is out of date

For the best experience, please upgrade. Learn more

Nummular dermatitis / eczema

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chigirl40
    Participant

My dermatologist prescribed steroid cream and antibiotics for Nummular dermatitis. I resisted the sterile cream for 2 weeks but had to take it today because the rash just kept getting worse. I’ve never had such a bad case of eczema in my life. I had to call off work. It’s all over my body, including lips, ears, and eye lids! i would like to take something natural instead of the tetracycline and was thinking oil of oregano would be good.

I’m not early sure why an antibiotic is used for dermatitis but maybe for killing staph. Do you think oil of oregano would be the best choice? Should I start with 1 drop 2x a day and build up to 2 drops 2 x a day? Anyone else have experience with oil of oregano for dermatitis and eczema?

Thanks,
    MJ

flossy
    Participant

Oil of oregano sounds good to me too instead of antibiotic. salt therapy (i.e. breathing in salt rooms) said to work for eczema. https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/realpeoplerealrsults?source=feed_text&story_id=311406849050204
    I have seen vit A stop adolescent skin problems in days.

chigirl40
    Participant

Thanks. Yes salt helps. My eczema always goes away on beach vacations.

I’ve been thinking that since eczema is said to be an autoimmune condition, Frankinscense may be beneficial. Also, I am looking more into benchmark Thyme instead of oil of oregano. Pretty amazing that it kills MRSA. Does it kill any beneficial bacteria as well? I’m trying to avoid killing the good stuff.

laurasumner
    Participant

Hello,

Oregano essential oil is a very powerful natural antibiotic, which can indeed kill bacteria and germs. Taken internally, for longer than a week, it can damage the stomach and vaginal flora (personal experience with the last one), so be careful! Would be best to talk to a doctor for the right dose. Applied on the skin, it needs to be diluted in a proper carrier oil, like Hemp carrier oil – it has anti-inflammatory properties and it’s rich in fatty acids that your eczema-affected skin needs to re-build its protective barrier. Don’t use more than 6 drops of Oregano essential oil per 2 tablespoons of carrier oil.

Other essential oils that could work for eczema are: Myrrh, Peppermint, Lavender, Frankincense, Roman Chamomile, Tea Tree and annual Tansy. The best carrier oils that work well for eczema are: Hemp oil, Borage, Coconut, Evening Primrose, Wheat Germ and Avocado.

I hope this helps a bit, and if you have more questions or need a few ideas on blends to improve and prevent eczema, you can check out this article http://www.essentialbazaar.com/10-essential-oil-blends-for-eczema/

Regards,

chigirl40
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize oil of oregano orally could kill the good stuff as well.

Turns out I developed a latex allergy and started cross reacting to avocados. I love them and was eating at least 1 a day. With much sadness I cut them out of my diet and the rash is much improved. Not 100% gone, but I plan to see an allergist to determine if something else is impacting the rash.

laurasumner
    Participant

That is great Chigirl! It always works when you monitor your skin closely and see what triggers its reactions to be able to go around them in the future. Given enough time, you might be able to consume avocados again, but not as often and not as much as you’d like to. As for Oregano oil, yes it can kill the good stuff too, if consumed in a large dose, and for too long. In fact, that can happen with almost all essential oils.

I hope your doctor will be able to give you good advice and don’t hesitate to ask him about essential oils and the right dose, if you want to take them internally.
    Take care, I hope you get rid of the eczema a.s.a.p 🙂

flossy
    Participant

I would try meditation as well, directed to your level which affects the skin, while smelling something your body wants.

chigirl40
    Participant

Well, I had a lot of allergy testing done since my last post. I am allergic to avocados but not latex. Turns out I’m allergic to cloves, vanilla, avocados, and peanuts (as well as ragweed and dust). I also had “patch” testing too see if something is triggering the dermatitis. I was bummed to discover I reacted to something called “fragrance mix”. I thought I was reacting to a latex yoga mat, but turns out it was my essential oil cleaner I was using on it. could have just been the clove (I was making a cleaner with purify). I see the Allergist Monday to discuss the results and find out exactly what was in the fragrance mix. I’m not quite sure how this will impact my ability to use EO. 😥

laurasumner
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear that Chigirl, but there are over 90 essential oils out there and some are known to be really gentle and anti-allergenic (lavender and chamomile for instance). Take your time in discovering what works for you now after discovering your allergy triggers. See what the doctor has to say about that also and hopefully you’ll find the best middle way in all this.

Take care of yourself! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.